Carnations are thought of as kind of tacky; I usually try to avoid them altogether. However, now they can provide an inexpensive way to enjoy fresh flowers.
I recently saw these arrangements; they’re a ton of carnations gathered together into a large glamorous poof and tied together with a clear rubber band. It’s a simple way to make these flowers with a bad reputation finally look chic.
Read Full Post »
Flowers can transform a space… a obnoxiously dramatic statement, but true. They make a difference. For my graduation party last Saturday my parents wanted to fill the house with as many flowers as humanly possible. We made about 11 arrangements for around $15 each… and we used all roses!
Make Flower Arrangements Damn Near as Good as Martha Stewart’s but for a Lot Less
Where to buy?
1. GlobalRose.com–flowers grown on in South America are shipped FREE with FedEx to your house two days before your event (though note, you must order them 6 days before the event). I bought 250 stems of assorted colored roses for only $130! (Neither flowers.com nor your local florist can top that) The colors were beautiful and the flowers have lasted for six days and counting (though they are starting to wilt).
2. Costco… yes Costco. I was there last week and they had a great selection for around $15/ a bouquet. However Costco is not always a guarantee, so just be ware.
How to arrange?
I needed a few vases that were identical so I went to AC Moore and picked up some for around 6 bucks each, and while I was there I also got some bricks of floral foam for about $4/package.
1. Cut a cube of floral foam, place in vase, and fill with water
2. Grab some fresh leaves from the closest tree (it doesn’t matter what kind, we even used Holly leaves) and place all around the vase to cover the foam.
3. Cut rose stems at an angle and stick into foam to make your desired arrangement (in my opinion, it’s hard to make roses look bad)
For a few of the arrangements I made rose-puffs using about 22-25 roses in a fish bowl vase, but your options are endless. I hope this is useful for your next soiree!
Read Full Post »